Thursday, September 15, 2011

Reflection and Announcement


I intended to write my “wrap-up” post while I was still in CA, but things just didn’t work out that way.   We were so busy during the last few days, it was almost silly. We were packing up all the things we accumulated in that tiny apartment over the six months, which was A LOT.  The actual move was quite stressful with stupid shenanigans at the airport as usual.  I am happy to report that Penny handled this flight much better than she did back in January.

So now, months later, it’s time for me to reflect on our time in California. 

When I moved there, I was having terrible headaches from the stress of the unknown.  I quit my job at SciMedica and did not have a clear plan for what I was going to do for work.  In a time when people are begging for work, I was quitting my job.  I was prepared to find work at the Gap or Starbucks if need be.  I was very stressed about moving to a place where I know absolutely no one and did not have a job.  But as we all know, I was able to gain not just a job, but a career, when I joined SAP in February.  I credit this adventure in California as being the catalyst for this very important chapter in my work life.  I honestly do not believe that I would be at SAP right now had Dirk and I not taken this leap. 

During these six months, I also learned a lot in terms of patience and coordination.  Dirk and I lived in a tiny apartment and shared one car.  In the beginning, Dirk was the only person I spoke to each day.  There was no place to escape to have a few minutes to myself.  We had to carefully plan our schedule so that no person would be stranded without the set of wheels when needed.  I think I took a lot for granted before this trip.  I took my house for granted and I took my little Sonata for granted.  Now that we’re home, we fully appreciate these luxuries. 

Dirk and I also strengthened our relationship.  It’s hard to not get closer under those circumstances.  Before we met Ali and Jan, we were like living on a deserted island, except that it wasn’t deserted.  What I mean by that is, when you know absolutely no one in an entire metro area, it’s very easy to feel isolated.   In some ways, it was kind of refreshing to just feel anonymous and under the radar.  But in other ways, it was depressing and lonely.  Dirk and I only had each other for a while, and we had to make it work.  It made me value my friends and family even more.   And, like I said, it made Dirk and I closer (and eventually led to our engagement. yayyyyyy!)

I stretched myself in many different ways.  Because of this trip:
  • I am building a new career. 
  • I started to hike. 
  • I became more physically active. 
  • I took my first international trip completely solo. 
  • I started to scrutinize my environmental impact.
I can’t think of many other experiences in my life that have had such interesting and long-lasting impact on my life. 

I loved every minute of blogging.  I love sharing the nuances of my life with you all and I am crazy excited that I have this amazing account of our time in CA.  In fact, I love blogging so much that I have parlayed this little hobby into an exciting new gig (I hate that word).  For the next yearish, I am going to be the next bridal blogger on partyspace.com!  So now, you lucky ducks, you get to read about every single excruciating detail about my wedding planning process! If you think you are going to be able to squeeze in a conversation about something non-wedding related, FORGET IT. It’s all weddings, all the time. 

But seriously now, thank you for reading There Ya Go and thank you in advance for supporting me on partyspace.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment