Friday, February 18, 2011

Long Time, No See!


I know, I know, I know, I know.  I haven’t written in a while.  Let’s play catch-up:

I think everyone knows by now that I started working again.  I’m working for SAP (same company that Dirk works for ) since the end of January.   I was in Newtown Square for my first week, Palo Alto for my second week, and Newtown Square for the third week.  In fact, I am writing this post from an airport bar because I am en route to Palo Alto.   What am I doing at SAP?  I’m glad you asked! I would also like to know the answer, so please let me know when you find out! Ha! In all seriousness, I am partially on the project management office for mergers and acquisitions, focusing on one large acquisition in particular.  I am also partially helping out with some administrative functions while Armin’s (my boss) assistant is out on medical leave for a few weeks.  It’s been very interesting.  I’m learning a lot, and I can now say that I am treading water, not drowning.  I’m not exactly Michael Phelps either.  mmmK I think that last swimming reference didn’t make much sense.  But I know what I’m trying to say, and that’s all that counts.  It’s my blog, dammit.

Honestly, the main point of what I’m trying to say is that I’m happy with this new job.  I may not entirely know what I am doing yet, but I feel like it could turn into a really good thing. Also, I realized that I really enjoy working for a large company.  Coming from a small company, I now know that I really appreciate not having every single person knowing every single thing about me.  Everyone I have worked with is very career-minded, enthusiastic, and focused.  I am really interested to see where I go with this opportunity.  It also hasn’t – GODDAMMIT I JUST GOT AN ALERT THAT MY FLIGHT IS DELAYED – hurt that I already knew a lot of these people, or at least met them, before I started with the job.   It made me feel at ease and perhaps has made people be a bit nicer to me! Of course, I am sure it will eventually get old for people to keep saying things like, “Yes. That was a very interesting question you just posed.  But how is Dirk doing in CA!?” 

What else have we been doing? Well, Dirk and I went to Sausalito last weekend, which is really a cute little town.  It does have a very “island” vibe to it.  In  fact, it reminds me a lot of St. John, just with less palm trees and about 20 degrees cooler.  By chance, Dirk and I caught Tyler Florence on the Food Network one night.  I say ‘by chance’ because we never watch the Food Network.  Anyway, he was talking about these crab sandwiches at this restaurant called Fish in Sausalito.  Naturally, I had to try it.  Like, YUM.  This thing was just crab meat, chives, butter, and some spices, served on a buttery grilled roll.  That’s on my top 10 list of favorite things I have ever eaten, for sure.  Dirk was less than enamored, but what the hell does he know? He eats blood sausage, for god’s sake. 

To get over to Sausalito, I had to cross the Golden Gate Bridge.  I did it without Xanex or an entire bottle of rum! Aren’t you all so proud?  I even took pictures while we were driving across it.  I consider this a very big step for me since the Golden Gate is exactly the bridge that spawned my fear.  Some terrible TV show was showing the effects of the last big quake, and cars were falling because there was some crack in the bridge that people couldn’t see because of that weird thing where your eyes don’t actually see what’s in front of you, it just like…infers it?  I don’t know, I was like 12 when I saw it and it scares me so badly that I write terrible, nonsensical run-on sentences when I think about it.  And I’m sweating.  I would show you the pictures I took, but I’m stuck in this damn airport bar for 3 MORE HOURS and I don’t have the pictures on this computer. 

Well, I don’t think it’s too long before I begin to slip into madness, so I should probably end things here.  Just like I told Kendra on the phone a few minutes ago – I have to get out of this bar before I wake up tomorrow morning in Cincinnati with my credit card missing and wearing only one shoe.  (“Shots for everyone!!!”) 

UPDATE:  Since I wrote this, I have calmed down and started drinking water.  Orbitz lied to me when it sent me that alert saying that my flight was delayed.  It wasn't.  I got on the plane, but - surprise! - we would now have to stop in Kansas City to get more fuel.  The winds are so strong that we wouldn't have made it with the fuel we had.  Well, we could have, but we would have had to kick 50 people off the plane.  You all know what I would have voted for...

1 comment: