Driving around here is exhausting. It's making me all stabby. At some point this week, not knowing my way around the roads switched over from being a fun adventure to being totally frustrating. It's not an overly complicated road system, but I seem to be having trouble understanding where things are and how to get to them. You know, the basics.
And the drivers here are totally maddening in the fact that everyone is so calm. Everyone drives the speed limit or five miles UNDER the speed limit. I mean it: no one goes even one notch over the speed limit on the odometer, and as an East Coast driver, it's very frustrating. Doesn't anyone actually have to BE somewhere? I was driving down a road the other day where the speed limit was 35. We were going 26. MILES. AN. HOUR. I'm not saying that everyone should be driving all Cruella DeVille around town (although if I could wear her coat and drive her car, I would) but I'm in favor of driving with a purpose. Get there! Do that thing!
At first, I appreciated the non-agressive and polite driving. Everyone uses their turn signal, no one cuts anyone off, and I haven't seen the middle finger in weeks. When you don't know where you are going, this attitude is very nice. It's serene even. The cars float to their destinations. (Well, that is until they get on the 101 and then it's all like "Oh, no shit! This thing down here is the gas pedal!?")
So up until this week, I totally bought into this passive, slow-as-shit driving. The only thing that I was missing was a hair net and dentures. But then yesterday, someone forgot to turn on their turn signal, and floated off into a right hand turn at about 15 miles an hour. I screamed (roared?) at them so loud that I think I may have scared Penny in the backseat. And it felt goooooooood.
I'm back!
So much hate
ReplyDelete