Hello and welcome. I thought that I would start this little blog to keep all interested parties informed of my whereabouts and musings during our half-year stay in the Bay Area. I admit that my motivation comes from both my obsession with my brand spankin' new iMac AND my reluctance to write the same emails over and over. I'll also admit that my inspiration for the name of this blog comes from Snoop Dogg. For $12.95, you can download Snoop's voice to your TomTom GPS, and of course Dirk did that as soon as he ripped it out of the box. Now, our conversations are peppered with Snoop-isms, including, "there ya go" and "you have reached your destination. Wee." So naturally, it made sense to incorporate these gems into my new blog. OK, so that's the background information. Let's start this thing, shall we?
Of course I have a story about the plane ride. The check-in process went very smoothly, and the staff made Dirk and I feel comfortable handing Penny over to be loaded onto the plane. I may have cried a bit. I might not have. No way for you to really know. We boarded the plane with our carry-ons and Whitney Houston, my unicorn Pillow Pet that I received as a gift earlier that day. I was in the middle seat with Dirk on my right and a 36 pound 18-month old baby named Dakota (who demanded to be called Alex instead) sitting on his father's lap to my left. Alex? was actually very well behaved, and I felt really badly for his father who would have to hold on to all 36 pounds of him for the five and a half hour flight. I should have been more worried about the motor skills of the toddler on my right. Approximately one minute after Dirk received his orange juice from the beverage cart, he spilled it all over himself, me, and Whitney Houston. Forgetting that I had on my noise-cancelling headphones, I exclaimed way too loudly, "WHITNEY HOUSTON!!!" But not to be outdone by Dirk's performance, Alex squirted water all over my face, fleece, and tray before Dirk's orange juice even had the chance to dry. Eventually, Alex fell asleep with his legs on his father's lap on his head resting comfortably on Whitney Houston on my lap. Awesome.
We landed a bit early, and I thought that perhaps we could get to the apartment in enough time to ring in the new year with some food and an adult beverage. Nope. We retrieved a very confused and mostly unhappy Penny and split up. Dirk hustled to pick up the rental car and I waited for our bags. Wrestling our six bags of luggage, the dog crate, and Penny left me absolutely sweating and generally angry. Then Dirk pulled up in a Toyota Corolla, which, if you don't know, is entirely too small for the amount of crap we needed to shove into it. So, there we found ourselves playing Luggage Tetris and dismantling the dog create at 11:00PM on New Years Eve. But we figured out it, and Snoop navigated our way to our new home for the next six months.
The apartment itself is small, but nice. The complex itself is very nice with a pool, hot tub, free tennis lessons, maid service, on-site massage therapist, and complimentary breakfast. The immediate surroundings consist of mostly other apartment complexes, but we are in walking distance to Castro Street, which is lined with bars and restaurants. We've unpacked, made a few trips to the store, and most importantly, eaten at In-and-Out Burger! OMG, that food is ridiculously good. Here are some pictures of us enjoying the glorious goodness:
I am going to TRY not to eat there for every single meal.
Anyway, I think that's enough blogging for one day. I like how I hesitated writing this blog because I thought that I wouldn't have anything to say. Clearly, I have lots to say! Wee.


No comments:
Post a Comment